Blog Archive

Wednesday 2 October 2019

Identity Tag

To communicate who you are without saying a single word is the powerful act of fashion.

I love using fashion as a way to express who I am to the world. It's an extraordinary feeling to wake up each morning with the ability to decide how you present yourself to the world - my outfits constantly reflect my personality and my mood for the day. What I  really like is that you can change your look whenever you want, and my style is always changing and growing in the same way I am.

Recently I watched a Ted Talk video with Kaustav Dey (he leads the marketing for Tommy Hilfiger in India) which I really enjoyed, and could relate to. There was one part where he was discussing fashion utalising our differences and making them our strengths!

"Fashion can communicate our differences to the world for us. And with this simple act of truth, I realised that these differences - they stopped being our shame. They became our expressions, expressions of our very unique identities."
In terms of trends, I do like to keep up with what's "in" and read fashion magazines etc. but as I've gotten older I've accepted that people can wear whatever they want regardless of trends. I think growing up I'd always watch TV shows, and read magazines that would talk about different celebrities etc. and slag off their outfits. With this culture it's so easy to judge people, and even now I find myself looking at people wearing something that is not my style and I catch myself thinking "why are they wearing that?". Then I take a second to remind myself that everyone is different, and we all like different things. I'm sure there's plenty of people that dislike my outfits, but as long as I like them then that's all that matters.

Fashion is art, and art is about perception - with unique perception you have the opportunity to create something incredible which others could have never imagined.
That to me, means fashion is much more than clothes, but a piece of who you are transformed into something tangible.


Rach x x x

No comments:

Post a Comment